ERITECH® System 3000 DYNASPHERE
With almost two decades of successful field application, the ERITECH® System 3000 was enhanced in 2003 with an optimized DYNASPHERE air terminal, ERICORE cable system and supporting design software for a greater protection level.
These advancements are a result of research, involving long-term field studies, laboratory testing using some of the largest outdoor test laboratories, and countless research study programs including joint ventures with accomplished scientists in the field resulting in some of the most up to date published technical papers and journals.
The System 3000 has evolved from this research activity, with earlier versions of the System 3000 providing a building block for the latest advancements through extensive field studies, leading edge indoor and outdoor high voltage testing and supported by computer modeling research.
ERICO is involved in the lightning protection industry in many countries around the world and hence acknowledges the diverse protection methods that exist today.
The ERITECH System 3000 integrated direct strike protection system provides protection for structures, buildings and their occupants against the effects of direct lightning strikes.
- Advanced lightning system based on latest lightning research and technology
- Enhanced area of protection and computer aided design enables optimal protection of the most critical part of your facility
- Location of air terminal(s) on structure is determined using LPSD, ERICO’s proprietary Lightning Protection System Designer package.
- Collection Volume design principle used by LPSD resulting in the most effective lightning protection coverage.
- Economical and easy to install
- Consists of:
- ERITECH DYNASPHERE Air Terminal – non-radioactive terminal manufactured from high quality, non-corrosive materials
- ERITECH ERICORE Downconductor – purpose-designed shielded downconductor reduces the risk of side-flashing and safely conducts lightning energy to ground
- Grounding System – purpose-designed low-impedance system to safely disperse lightning energy
- Lightning Event Counter – automatically registers lightning strikes, thus proving the efficiency of your system
- The System 3000 can be used wherever there is the possibility of direct lightning strikes that may affect valuable equipment and/or facilities
- These include railroads, communications towers, television stations, oil/gas platforms, high rise buildings, schools, hospitals, factories, and explosive/volatile fuels storage areas
- Applications that require the benefit of an isolated protection system would benefit in particular using the ERITECH System 3000. For more advice on the solutions the System 3000 can provide your facility please contact ERICO.
|System 3000 Family||System 3000 Installation|
How the ERITECH® D/SMKIV-SS DYNASPHERE Works
Modern research and recording methods have led to a better understanding of the lightning discharge process, and various breakthroughs have been achieved in the simulation of lightning electric-field conditions. ERICO has been one of the leaders in this field of research, employing a combination of computer modeling, field studies, natural and rocket triggered testing and HV laboratory testing techniques. A number of technical research papers have resulted from this work.
The DYNASPHERE has been designed to meet all of the criteria necessary for the controlled emission of a streamer. The concept of controlled is important because it is not effective to launch a streamer too early – the ambient field will not be large enough to convert the streamer to a leader and so the streamer will cease to propagate.
The characteristics of an optimum air terminal are:
- Minimal pre-strike corona / space charge
- Streamers released only when the ambient electric field can sustain leader initiation and propagation
During the dynamic phase of the thunderstorm, on closer approach of the downward leader, the semi-sphere or dome of the DYNASPHERE will rise in voltage via capacitive coupling. When the voltage is high enough, a triggering arc is created across the air gap between the sphere and grounded rod. This triggering arc has two effects:
- It produces the large number of free electrons needed to initiate an upward streamer, and
- It causes a sudden “snap” increase in the electric field immediately above the air terminal, which provides the additional energy to initiate a strong propagating streamer.
Because the DYNASPHERE has been designed to meet the criteria necessary for the controlled emission of a streamer, its operation is more reliable than other terminals, particularly when its placement has been optimized for the particular structure by the use of ERICO’s proprietary LPSD Design software.