Quite some time ago, we had featured an article on the various lightning protection solutions that WAPP offers.
Did you know that WAPP also provides design and technical support for your lightning protection scope of works? We can assist with GA (General Arrangement) drawings as well as Detailed drawings. Additionally, we also offer any other design services (e.g. structural), training and advice for installations.
Here are some examples of the designs that we can offer.
Conventional System2000 Air Terminals compliant with AS1768
Types of Lightning Protection Systems (LPS)
Lightning protection systems for buildings and installations may be divided into three principal types:
- LPS for Protection for buildings and installations against direct strike by lightning,
- LPS for Protection against overvoltage on incoming conductors and conductor systems,
- LPS for Protection against the electromagnetic pulse of the lightning.
Each system’s design requires:
- The strike termination device must be positioned at the highest point on the structure.
- The lightning protection system must be solidly and permanently grounded.
This type of Lightning Protection Systems can be divided into:
Conventional lightning protection system (Also known as “Passive or Traditional)
- Franklin Rod LPS – A lightning rod, air terminal or a single mast will help prevent lightning from striking in the immediate vicinity. The lightning rod is a metallic capture tip placed at the top of the building. It is earthed by one or more conductors.
- The lightning rod with taut wires – These wires are stretched above the protected structure. They are used to protect special structures: rocket launching areas, military applications and protection of high-voltage overhead lines
- Franklin/Faraday Cage LPS – This protection involves placing numerous down conductors/tapes symmetrically all around the building. This type of lightning protection system is used for highly exposed buildings housing very sensitive installations such as computer rooms.
Non-Conventional lightning protection system – All ERITECH Isolated Downconductor system components meet the requirements of IEC 62305 series and appropriate products are tested in compliance with EN50164-1 and EN 50164-2.
- Dynasphere S3000 insulated system – The ERICO Dynasphere air terminal providesoptimal lightning capture to a preferred point for lightning discharges which would otherwise strike and damage an unprotected structure and/or its contents. Also known as an active system as it has a Dynamic response to the approach of a lightning down-leader
- ISODC Communications insulated system – The ERITECH isolated system providesa traditional air terminal fitted to an isolated fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) mast. The isolated downconductor internally connects to the air terminal inside the FRP. The FRP mast has natural isolation properties, high strength for windy sites and low weight to minimize mast loading.
There are various lightning protection systems fit for purpose that can offer:
- More cost effective in supply and installation
- Less variables of installation and ease of application
- Greater protection and performance
- Minimal effects on visual and structure
West Australian Power Protection (WAPP) are the industry experts in Lightning, Surge and Grounding Protection.
WAPP will provide you direction for the best performance and most cost-effective solution that suits your project requirements.
Call us on (08) 9353 5300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for a FREE no obligation consultation and quote.